Friday, February 3, 2012

PayPal is Ruining My Life

As it turns out I did have to go to work yesterday.  Although I missed lunch with Liza, it all worked out for the best as I had a lot to do.  And the best part is I still got to go to my Social Media morning event.  Man, I can't say enough about these.  The presentation yesterday was from Jay Oatway, the social media king in HK.  He talked about what's in the news (McTwitter fail), new apps (Pinterest is the new Facebook), and about the upcoming Social Media Week.  SMW is a worldwide event where different presentations, debates, seminars, etc. go on to get you excited and informed about what's what in social media.  This is HK's second year and the other cities include:

Hamburg
London
Miami
New York
Paris
San Francisco
Sao Paulo
Singapore
Tokyo
Toronto
DC

So if you're near one of these cities you should check it out.  socialmediaweek.org

So I get pumped about it, get permission from Greg to miss half day on Tuesday to check out "Building a Brand" and I go to sign up for it.  It's $150 (<$20) and you have to pay via PayPal.  I haven't used PayPal since I lived in the US, and since then I have lost my debit card that it's tied to, so I just let it expire.  Well, PayPal doesn't let you do shit with an expired account.  I can't even delete it.  I tried to sign up for this event no less than 30000 times with or without PayPal, and every time "Your account is limited."  Yeah, no shit PayPal, let's just use my credit card that I use all the time!??  No, no,  PP has to make 2 deposits in this unused account, wait 3 days (by which time this event will be sold out), and then confirm the .002 cents they put in.  Here's a better idea.  Why can't  I just use my credit card that I use everywhere else in the world with no problem!!!?? Ohhhhh because stupid PayPal says it's already tied to an account.  So what?!!!! Just let me pay!!!  Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I suppose this is all the more frustrating because I was doing it at 11pm with a glass of Prosecco.  Solution.  Hopefully I can get Greg to put it on his card.

from bottom left; bibimbap, japchae, meat, Hite, soju
So yeah, here it is Saturday AM and still no ticket, BUT Paul and I used our groupon last night and discovered the most authentic amazing Korean place.  Groupon success for once!  Han Ga Ram is in Causeway Bay, super clean (for lack of better words) and upscale looking, and the whole time Paul and I are looking at each other wondering why this place even does Groupon.  We get legit banchan (side dishes) including kimchi, spicy lettuce with seasame oil (yum!), celery stuff, tofu that upon tasting brought me right back to Haebongcheon, eggy thing, sprouts, seaweed, potatoes, and on and on.  Then marinated beef and chicken which Paul grilled and devoured, bibimbap which I stirred and devoured, japchae which we couldn't finish because we had so much other food.  So good!  On top of that of course we ordered soju. We shared one small bottle and we were both kind of drunk off it.  Don't miss that so much.  But yeah, super excited to have a real (our waiter was from Korea!) Korean place again! For the proximatey, HK really is lacking in the galbigim arena.

Alright off to Cyberport to sell wines and foie gras.  Come stop by and I'll give you an extra heavy pour :)
Look at all those banchan!?  Seoul, I miss you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment