Saturday, February 4, 2012

PayPal Saga continues

This is the most ridiculously over complicated system in the world.  After I wait 2 days for the minute deposits into my unused bank account, I go to lift the "limit" and go on to purchase my Social Media Week tickets.  After confirming the deposits it asks me to confirm my location.  Well the location of my billing address happens to be different than my real address, and they need to call a local land line, which who even has anymore?  I go ahead and type in my mom and dad's land line and it instantly calls.  I have no chance to call mom and prepare her with the confirmation # she has to type in.  Seriously.  She sees a call from Nebraska, doesn't answer, and my shot at PayPal is gone for another 5-7 days while they send a letter to my billing address and wait for me to confirm it there.  I have to wait over a week to buy a ticket with my working credit card!? What the hell kind of system are you running here, PayPal?  What the hell!?

End of story.  For now...
Our Table at Cyberport.  Back left is the jumbo screen

sweet sparkle tattoo
Despite all that, Paul and I have had a lovely weekend!  As I mentioned, Korean dinner Friday was awesome.  Saturday I was told to be at the office at 9:30.  Sean finally showed up 10ish.  I need to learn to add 30 minutes to everything he says...Anyway we get down to Cyberport 11ish and it's amazing!!!!  It's this huge complex of apartments, shops and conference rooms, all right on the sea.  They run a monthly outdoor market which HOFWs never misses.  It's slow, but there's usually good foot traffic, and in the evenings they screen an outdoor movie so people stock up on their booze with us.  (Funny story; Greg was going on a first date after this event a few months ago and had the girl meet him at Cyberport to watch the outdoor movie.  Turns out it was Chinese opera.  haha that's four hours of your life you can't get back!)  What impressed me most about this event, which is now my favorite we do, was the variety of vendors.  To our right we have Brooke who is an absolute riot.  She goes way back with Sean and Greg and always buys a bottle of Champagne and boozes it along side us.  She sells jewelry.  There are also bag vendors, clothing, lots of stuff for kids, plants, drinks, honey, pottery, air purifiers, tattoo painters (check my sweet one), Hong Kong puzzles, and all sorts of other random stuff.  In the down time it's fun to walk around and get to know the other sellers; it's definitely a community feel.  Brooke tells me most of these people have kind of retired from their corporate lives and are now following their passion.  And you know what?!  Everyone loves the wine guy!

chair on the ceiling
Paul comes and meets me, we have some wine with our neighbors, then head out to Sheung Wan in search of dinner.  We stopped in this cute little place we had never even seen before, Cheri Cheri.  Very eclectic decor (read chair hanging from the ceiling), low lighting, and a small thoughtful menu.  We don't go out to dinner often, and when we do it's usually Asian.  This was Italian!  They started with bread fresh out of the oven which was amazing, and we used all of our willpower not to finish it off before our mains came.  Paul got lobster ravioli and I got the tuna tartare.  The tuna was good, although a bit heavy on the lemon, but the lobster, oh my god the lobster.  I guess I should clarify, the lobster was good, but the SAUCE.  Ohhh creamy tomatoey vodka (?)y sauce.  Brought me back to my veg days when I would get vodka penne from Venezias.  ohhhh vodka penne, which incidentally, I just learned is like 400 grams of butter and 2000 liters of heavy cream.  Suppose that's why it's so good.  If it weren't totally inappropriate (well had there been no one around) I would have stuck my face in the bowl and never come out.  We're definitely going to be making this very soon.


Tuna Tartare

Lobster Cream Sauce Heaven

Mauled it

Post stuffing our faces we grabbed some drinks in Central, ran into a friend and his friend who just moved here, and bused it home where I promptly fell asleep.  Paul on the other hand not so much.  I wake up this morning and he's on the couch, beer is splattered all over the floor covering the computer which is face down next to the couch.  I wish I could say this was the first time this has happened...haha one day he will learn.  It's ok to fall asleep at 11 like me :)  Much cleaner at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment