Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Che Cheong Fan


Well, I suppose I will start with the most recent as it is freshest in my mind (and mouth).  I had the awesomest hangover breakfast ever today!  Yesterday on my way to work I stopped at this little street stall thing where there's always a line up of people waiting for breakfast.  I didn't know what they serve except shumai, and that's exactly what I was after.  Street shumai is pretty awesome.  Little dumpling ish like shrimp/fish balls covered in soy sauce and spicy sauce all for $1 a pop.  They usually come in 5s.  Anyway, no suprise there that they were good, but dude in front of me got this weird bowl of all sorts of stuff covered in goo, and based on how I was feeling this morning, I knew I needed some goo in my life.  Steamed shumai, steamed rice rolls (kind of like tteokk but not as dense) covered in spicy, sweetish sauce and sesame seeds.  This monstrous bowl cost me $12.  That's $1.50 USD and man did it hit the spot.  Just look at that deliciousness!  Upon a quick google search, I just found out the name of this delicacy; chee cheong fan.  Go find it now.   Here's a much better explanation than I can give.


So yeah, last night. Well let me back up further. Recall a couple weeks ago when Paul and I went to the China Wine Awards, met a California guy, went out to Din Tai Fung, and then never heard from him again.  Well, he called me on Saturday informing me he was back in Cali with his family until May, but his business partner Darron was here.  He said we have to meet, we can work together, blah blah, only with no follow up.  

Flash forward to yesterday (is that a contradiction?) was Cru Magazine's 1 year anniversary party at the North Carolina Grill in LKF. Not one to ever miss a tasting, Sean and I head over at 3 for the trade portion of the day.  There were probably 20 or so wine distributors, each with 5 or so wines to try.  It being 3 pm, I tried to pace myself.  But ohh there were some exciting wines!  German/Alsace Reislings, Spanish, Chilean, Portuguese wines, and even a delcious Sauterne I wanted to bathe in!  Sean had to leave for meetings, but luckily everyone at wine events is really friendly so I had no shortage of company. 

In the beginning there weren't too many people there and this guy starts chatting me up.  He's from Cali, just moved here, imports wine.  Hey, I know you!  It's Jared's business partner and my new best friend!  Darron's awesome, and I love pretending to be the old guy in town telling newbies about all the hot spots. All you new people, you only need to know three things; The Globe, Linguini Fini, and California Vintage. Darron and I chatted and tasted all day!  And then we ran into our friend Susan of California Vinatge. She is just the sweetest!!  In honor of the Rugby Sevens they are hosting a CV Sevens on Sunday at the Bar.  They will showcase seven of their award winning wines.  See you Sunday, Susan!! 
New Friends

Then I stalked out Ali from Wine Times HK.  I have been chatting with Ali via facebook for some time now telling him how much I want his job (he's a wine writer!), and finally got a chance to meet him face to face! Then my favorite social media savvy friend Dean arrived.  His company Global Wine Cellar was there showcasing some of their lovely wines.  My favorite being the Alsace Reisling.  Yum. 

I was supposed to leave at 4:30 to go pick up my Sevens tickets and then come back to meet Paul, but was having such a good time I didn't leave.  Paul came and we tasted our little hearts out until we couldn't stand any longer.  I think we made it to 7:45.  Kids that's almost 5 hours of tasting, and I actually feel suprisingly sprite today.  Usually I get anxious and weird feeling, but today I tutored my 4 year old, found a new Hong Kongian delicisouness and have typed this book all before eleven.  What have you done today!?

No comments:

Post a Comment