Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dragon Boating is Awesome

And I wish I hadn't left my phone at home so I had some pictures!  The weather FINALLY turned from grey and miserable to sunny and high 70s, and today was the perfect day to be out on the water!  After lovely drinks with Kina on the Peak, and quality time with Steve in Quarry Bay, Paul and I called it an early Saturday night to prepare for our first day of training.  Sunday we woke up early, had a nice eggy sandwich breakfast, and bused it the 1.5 hours to Stanley.  What a gorgeous day!!!!!!!!

Sun. Sun. Sun. Sun. Beach. Sun. Sun. Sun.Sun.

We met up with our team at 1 for some land training.  As with all groups there's always the stragglers.  We waited for probably about 20 minutes for everyone to get there and then begin our training.  Our coach, Nicole (from Trinidad, not Turks and Caicos as previously reported) started us with some stretches, jumping jacks, and then we got right into the planks.  D-boating is all about core strength, so planks are crucial.  We started with a minute.  Then a break.  Then a minute.  Then break. Then planks to failure.  We all had to go as long as we can and whoever lasts the longest sets the minimum for next week.  15, 30, 1 minutes and Paul and I are still going.  Look around and they are dropping like flies.  1:30, 2:00, shaking like crazy, but I'm determined not to let Paul beat me.  Finally 2:30 or so he drops, I'm against (what I think) is one other dude and he drops, so I fall at 2:50, only to be told that German dude won.  But, per team consensus (Paul, Alberto and myself) he was totally cheating and not doing the right form.  So yeah, basically I kicked ass.  Team leader = me...as voted by me!  A few more exercises later and twas time to hit the beach!

We met the rest of the (people that actually showed up) InterNations team at the boathouse.  There were probably 10 or so of us all stars for land training, and 18 for boat training.  Again, weather was perfect and it felt so good to get out on the water after sweating it out during planks.  We rowed our little hearts out, switched sides, rowed some more and poof, an hour was over!  I wish it went longer!  Paul and I both agreed we like rowing on the left side better, which works out because we have to pair up with someone our own weight.  Hard to believe, but Paul's got a few kilos on me.

After practice the all stars went out for a snack and drink.  Nicole informed us that we did EXCELLENTLY for our first time boating.  I believe her, too.  We watched some other teams go out and it was like watching a train wreck.  We were mostly in sync and moved!  When we were supposed to!  We have about 25 people which is enough for 1.5 teams, so we're trying to decide to do one team or two.  If we do one you'll have to try out.  Guess who's currently in the lead? Just saying.....

Paul and I are super pumped for next week, and just to clinch our love even more, post all star meeting we went out to Classified, my new favorite place...in Stanely.  We ordered a bottle of wine and a cheese plate and enjoyed our early evening on the water.  Sun, exercise, water, new friends, cheese, wine.  Nice little Sunday, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment