Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Today's MY Day.

Beautiful Start to the Day
Progressively throughout this week my smoothies have gotten better and better.  I'm learning the right balance between ice and soy milk. Oh the perfect balance is always a struggle, is it not?  Today I got it spot on.   A few ice cubes, little soy, banana, handful of blueberries, and here's the key to perfection....peanut butter!! Divine!
Big Crowds at the Rioja Tasting


And a delicious smoothie is just what I needed after a four hour wine tasting the day before.  This is definitely one of the perks of working in wine.  It's totally acceptable, no I take that back, encouraged to drink as many wines as possible during one of these events.  If you want full coverage on favs check out here.  But here's what I didn't share on the work blog.  You'll see why in about 10 seconds.  So the last time the Mira hosted a Rioja tasting, let's just say I was less than employeed.  My schedule free self head over mid-afternoon in October having gone for a long run and skipped lunch. Smart, no? I was alone, there were a lot of people in suits, and to be honest, I was totally intimidated by the whole situation because I didn't know what I was walking into. Hell, I RSVPed and attended tons of events I had no idea about.  Oh the good old days...In order to overcome my timidness, I promtly started tasting, keep in mind before becoming a wine professional (ha), so there was no spitting to be seen.  I'd say within 4 minutes I was buzzed, and by the time I left god knows when, I was hammered.  Paul can attest to this. Moral of the story, I lost my wallet, a little dignity, and was a little nervous to come back this go round.  But I did so good! I poured out wines, I spit, I ate the little delcious bread chunkers they laid out on every table, and I drank copious amount of water.  I think I'm learning :)

Peter (hat) Lead Sean to Some Fine Wines
It was such a riot watching Greg grill these wine makers about their marketing budgets and how they would try to brand themselves in Hong Kong.  And we got two or three meetings with some of the wine proveyors coming up.  Greg, Sean and myself all went out to the Chung King Mansions for dinner.  If you don't know the Chung King Mansion, you've never been to HK.  It's notoriously the cheapest, dirtiest, sketchiest place to stay/eat/get drugs in Hong Kong.  But there's tons of Indians there and they know how to cook...except for where we went to dinner. Ewwww gross fish and eww mystery meat, but Sean had snagged a nice wine from the tasting so it was all good.  Head home at 8:30 was asleep by 9. Nice-uh.


Saving Grace at Dinner
Months and months ago I was in a gourmet deli near my home where they were giving out wine samples.  I passed my bcard to the wine guy and followed up with a very polite email the next day, never to be heard from again until last week.  He said he was interested in organic wines, of which we have a bunch, and he came in today for a meeting with Greg and I.  Dude is legit!  He sources wines for a ton of restaurants and hotels around HK and wants to work with us!  Because of ME!  Let's just say I'm on the good list at work. Greg says this may even earn me another Philippines vacation to which I replied, 'Bali.'

A little sparkle never hurt some data entry
No Wednesday Wine Tasting again this week, but we did crack open a bottle of our Clearly Organic Sparkling Airen to test this AM with Andy (deli guy).  A bit flat but I enjoyed the subtle oakness.   How's your Wine Wednesday!??

No comments:

Post a Comment