Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ginger

I have this new obsession with ginger.  Pretty much everything in Chinese cooking requires it, so it's available everywhere and super cheap. I picked up a gigantic knob the other day on a whim, and I'm telling you, I'm putting it in everything.

Yesterday and today I made amazing salads for lunch.  I suppose I've been in Asia when I say that I have found the most amazing shrimp cakes (picture fish balls with shrimp, cuttlefish, and corn)!  Spinach, shrimp cake, green tea soy sauce, kimchi, tofu, and of course ginger.  Delish I tell ya.

Tonight Paul and I cooked up an egg drop soup.  I flipped through and old Food Network Magazine (I wish we had that here) and found the parameters and it just so happened we had the necessary basics.  Plus some.  We boiled chicken broth with garlic, onion, chili pepper paste (that I put on everything), and ginger.  Then threw in some eggplant and zucchini we needed to use up.  Toss in some rando Chinese booze we didn't want (didn't realize it was 40%- thought it was sake) with some cornstarch to thicken her up.  After that cooks down a good while we tossed in fish filets and some chicken until it was cooked through and finished with two eggs.  This made enough to feed 12 people, so my guess is Paul will have it polished off by tomorrow night.  Something out of our normal repertoire, Chinesey, still healthy, and quite tasty.

Nim Nim Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment