Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hankuk Snackuh Sackuh

So today was a totally weird day.  Got to work early again, did some stuff around the office, and then hoofed it down to Wan Chai to turn in my visa documentation!!!  Get a nice froyo despite the fact Hong Kong won't admit it's spring (sun, where are you!?), then  get back to the office and Greg's in a weird mood.  All of the sudden pops a bottle of wine to taste.  Invites Lionel and I to join him, then another, and finally one more. We just had a couple sips of each, but twas quite a nice surprise on a Thursday afternoon (despite the quality of the wines).

I still got my Korean reading skillz
An overall different kind of a day I suppose.  But allow me to share with you one of my new favorite things!  Hankuk Snackuh Sackuh!  Translates to 'Korean Snack Shack!'  I stumbled upon the gem the other day on my way to a new tutoring gig.  It's just a tiny cooler counter on the street selling sigh kimchi!!!  And a whole range of them.  Their normal run of the mill kimchi is a bit too salty for my taste, but they also have the radish cube one, the cucumber one, nakchi (octopus), various meats, and my favorite, fermented tofu.  Oh how I love this place! Somehow every time I go I get totally ripped off, but for some reason this just seals its place in my heart a little deeper.  The first time I got a kimchi.  Too salty.  Next I got tofu and nakchi and somehow the normally $25 per container turned into $65.  Hmmm.  Then today I noticed they had kimbap (Korea's version of rolls- seaweed wrapped rice with ham, egg, radish, etc.) and pointed at it and said not this time but later, and next thing I know it's in my bag with my tofu and the bill's $50.  In all fairness they threw in an ice tea.  ha.  If you hadn't guessed, no one there speaks a lick of English, but they all light up when they see my credulous ass walk up.  It makes my day, rip off or not, and now tomorrow I have a kimbap and tofu salad.  Asa.

Kimbap!
So this tis my new Thursday ritual because I have the sweetest new tutoring job.  I came as a recommendation to this family from Natalie, my Monday evening tutoring.  Micky is a five year old shy girl and her older brother, Ryan, has a pretty good hold on English.  Since they're both pretty young, we break class into half an hour each.  Man does this make the time fly!  We read, play games, and they are just the most respectful pleasant children I have ever encountered...in Asia!  So yeah, I'm now up to 6 hours tutoring a week; 2 Monday, one Wednesday, 2 Thursday and one Friday.  Where do I find the time :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment