Monday, March 26, 2012

Sevens!!!

As you can probably guess, I didn't go to three days worth of rugby.  Hell, I barely made it through an hour!  Paul and I head down Friday evening with the intent to sell.  Apparently no one wanted to go Friday or was willing to pay at least, so we decided we would go in.  Paul and I know absolutley nothing about rugby, that in addition to the crowds, lack of seats, and general chaos didn't contribute to a positive impression for us.  We just didn't understand what was going on!  You couldn't sit and watch, we couldn't figure out how to get upstairs or get anywhere other than the main corridor, so we got our pitcher of Carlsberg and stood and looked at the back of people's heads.  We could have waited in a super long line to get seats at the South Side of the stadium (where all the cool kids sit) but couldn't figure out why you would want to do that as a) there's a line and b) there's no beer allowed.  Our options are wait in line or stand behind people in a hallway.  Hm.  So we did what anyone would do, poached our tickets to the first person we saw and head home!

If I got between people's heads I could sneak a view
Can someone explain the appeal of the Sevens to me? 

$3,500 for free tickets ain't bad my friends.  It's not the $8,000 I was hoping for, but we did go one night (ha) and didn't have to work at all to sell them.  That's a win in my book.  Saturday AM I tutored my twins while Paul cooked breakfast.  He's such a good boyfriend.  Then we decided to head to the best place in town.  Linguini Fini!!!!  They were running a special $150 for a pitcher of bloody mary's and a pizza.  Super deal.  The bloody mary's were good but we decided it wasn't meant to be drunken by 2 people.  We couldn't finish it, and that's saying a lot for Paul!  The pizza.  Oh the pizza.  It's definitely top three pizzas (I vote #1 actually) I've had in Asia.  Real mozz, real sauce, a hint of sweet in the amazing crust.  Tots perfect served with chili flakes and real parm.  Spot on LF. Spot on once again.  And if that wasn't enough the waiter, perhaps feeling bad for us in our Steelers jerseys, gave us free gelato.  Did I mention everyone dresses up for Sevens?  Paul and I didn't feel like pulling out Angry birds again, so we put on jerseys and thought that was costume enough.  I think people just thought we were confused about what sport was going on.

Regardless we spent the rest of the day sports free!  We took a ferry over to Discovery Bay, poked around, then continued on a failed search for a hotel on Lantau on a Saturday.  Seriously, not even one hotel on this huge island!  We ended up going all the way to the end of the red line (almost China) and found a 'Korean' buffet restaurant. Paul loved it because of the endless grilled meat, I on the other hand, question the quality.

Sunday and we have to get up to hoof it all the way back to Lantau; approximately an hour on the MTR.  We arrive at Disney at noon and follow the endless signs to 'Connor's 4th Birthday Party.'  Yeah, that's right a Disneyland birthday for a 4 year old.  Connor is in our roommate Christy's class and Paul private tutors him once a week, and HOFWs catered the wine for this event.  Since we provided the wine I knew there would be 60 people.  But, wow, was this nuts!!! The ballroom was all done up with balloons and a HUGE poster of Connor as Buzz Lightyear.  Really only pictures can do it justice. There's also a huge mega moon bounce in the back with these endless bubble machines- quite magical indeed.  Then there's a whole separate buffet room with all of your childhood favorites; mini burgers and dogs, mickey mouse pasta, fish fingers, french fries, sushi, salad, bao (steamed buns) in amazing shapes like pigs and aliens, fried rice, noodles, and more.  Then there's a whole other side devoted to dessert; chocolate fountain (seriously), fruit, cakes, mousses, and a whole ice cream bar.  This was sooo over the top and the whole time Paul and questioning our upbringing :) There was the craziest balloon artist (?) I have ever seen.  She could make anything!! Princesses, aliens, flowers, animals, it was truly spectacular.  I cannot even begin to imagine how much they spent on this, and I can't wait to see his 18th!!!  I'll let the pics speak for themselves as I am sick of typing and have to go to work!

Today we're over at the American Club.  I've never been as it' membership only, but Sean says it'll be pretty quiet but they provide a pretty awesome lunch.  Looking forward to that....
The dining room
Paul's first plate.  How cute is the pork bun??

Outside



No comments:

Post a Comment