Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dragons!!!!!!!!

New bestie Steve
Saturday after both Paul and I worked and napped, we head down to Quarry Bay to meet our new best friend Steve.  Wow, what an apartment.  Not is it only across from his work, it's also above two wine bars, AND newly refinished.  It would be the perfect aparment for Paul and I.  A studio with open kitchen, big bath, and nice outside balcony, fully furnished.  Steve we're moving in! Then Paul and I surprised ourselves by going out past midnight!  In fact, we went out til 2:30 for the first time in a looong time. Steve knew we could do it, but P and I were skeptical.  I guess the nap paid off. 
Already team favorites as we booze it during the first meeting


Oh but the exciting news of the weekend is what Paul and I have gotten ourselves into.  We are official members of the InterNations dragon boat co-ed team. Woo.  Dragon boating, from what I gather, is like a row team in a big canoe.  I think each co-ed team can have 18 people, and we all work together to row as fast as possible. Apparently there is enough interest to have two teams, and A team and 'fun' team as they're calling it.  I'm calling it first place losers team.  Paul and I are going for A!

Dragon boating is the BIG event here in Hong Kong.  On June 23rd over two hundred teams come out to Stanley to compete in an all day boating bonanza.  Some teams get super competitive, some teams are just out for fun, and apparently our team is both.  In order to prepare for this event, Paul and I have given up our Sundays to bus it an hour and half down to Stanley to do an hour of land exercises and an hour of on the water practice.  Attendance must remain above 75%, oh and did I mention we pay to do this!? :)  It's something different, new people, and physical, so I'm hoping an overall pleasant experience.  Not so much looking forward to the water part next week.  It's still cold!

Lesson One; arm straight
Nicole, our esteeed coach
Our team is very international.  At yesterday's meeting there were probably 15 or so people; 3 Americans, 2 Germans, a Spanish man and woman, a Tunisian, a woman from Turks and Caicos, and everyone else I'm not so sure. Our coach Nicole seems really cool.  She's from Turks and Caicos, leads a bootcamp here, and has given up her dragon boating team in order to serve as our leader.  I'm going to try to sign up for her bootcamp next month!

Baiscally Paul and I have no idea what we've gotten into, but it sounds interesting, so I will keep you clued into the basics of dragon boating as I find them out.  Happy Monday!
PS Love the new blender!  Banana Blueberry Soy

No comments:

Post a Comment