Monday, September 5, 2011

2 Year Anniversary Abroad

The bangs are still a disaster but at least I had an amazing weekend! Friday night I head out with the girls to Central. There are only a couple bar areas in HK, and Central seems to be the most popular. It's totally different going out here versus in Korea. People here go out after work in their business casual. People go out in Korea in whatever (who cares we're English teachers!). People here are from all over the world and just because they look Chinese doesn't mean they don't speak English; ahem Koreans. It's a lot a lot a lot of 30+-ers. You don't see too many fresh out of collegers, which lights the fire under my ass to quit putzing around and get a job! But, ouch, it's waaaay more expensive to go out here than in Seoul, you may as well be in Manhattan.

I hadn't had a girl's night in forever! Probably since last summer, so it was really nice to go out and talk about hair, and shopping, and drinking wine! The girls I went out with are all English teachers, 2 who taught in Korea previously, so we all had a lot to talk about.

After school Saturday (yup Paul works 8:30-1 on Saturdays. God bless this man) Paul and I head over to TST (Tsim San Shui, I think) in Kowloon. This is THE place in Kowloon. There's shopping, tons of hotels, a walk of stars, ferries over to the island, and the best view of Hong Kong! We had intended to hit the museum, but didn't get there until late, so we just walked along the walk of stars taking in all of the touristy mainland things to do. We had bought a Groupon, my first!, so we went to the iSquare plaza and had an awesome 4 course dinner. There was an app of some meat and dumplings, a rice pizza with crab which was delicious, creamy pumpkin seafood pasta, and a trio of desserts. All in all I'm impressed Groupon. We finally made our way over to the island where we met up with the ladies and some of their friends. Everyone is so nice and welcoming, I guess because how transient everyone is here! I ran into my friend Catherine who had some friends in common with Katie; small little expat world we live in. We ended up staying out until 5. That hasn't happened in ages!!! I <3 HK.

Today, September 5th, marks my 2 year anniversary of living abroad. Crazy! In 2 years I've held countless jobs, made so many great new friends, traveled to 10 Asian countries, had some pretty terrible haircuts, oh yeah, and met my future husband. Been a pretty good run Asia. Here's to the next 2, cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment