Friday, September 2, 2011

I should have known better

Anyone who's lived in Asia knows this. I know this. Yet, somehow, again and again I fall into the same mistake.

Asians can't cut Western hair. They just don't get it. I've had many a haircut in Korea go awry (put the razor away!!!), yet for some reason I thought it would be different here. As an aside, when Paul got his hair cut in Nepal he got a sick massage. Since I hadn't gotten my hair cut in 6 months and since I also like massages, I went to get my hair cut. It was a pricey $3 deal. The man maybe cut like 2 hairs, unevenly I might add, and then skimped on the massage. Pshaw. Haircut karma's got to be coming back to me one of these days...

The best haircut I had in Korea was in the COEX mall, so with this in mind I went to the mall near my house to find a salon. I did. They gave a great shampoo massage. Yes, they actually wash your hair BEFORE cutting it here. Then I had a magazine, pointed at a girl with REALLY long hair and a face frame and said "like this." The woman nods in understanding, then chops off my bangs. She left no more than 2 inches of hair in the front on my face. And to make it worse it's not even a bang, it's her version of a face frame (of which she has in her own hair!), so it's not even across my forehead. It's like 2 inches on the left and maybe 3 or so as you move right. This is not what I asked for, woman. It was one of those moments where she did it, my stomach fell to the floor, then she had the audacity to ask, "OK?" No!! Not ok, but it's done now, and you've only left a patch of hair!!! The she takes the scissor back to my head and puts her hand at about ear level and says, "here?" NO!!! What about long do you not understand!!!? Thankfully I shot that one down, but she still proceeded to cut 4+ inches off my finally long hair.

At the end of the day at least it's different now. I was bored with the long stringy hair. She managed to get my ends even, which is something that never seemed to happen in Korea. But, she did leave me with this furry things in the front of my face. I can't even wear a headband because they stand up like feathers. Luckily right next to the mall salon was the mall hair accessories store where I immediately stocked up on bobby pins. No more hair cuts til America.

No comments:

Post a Comment