Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cheese Ain't Easy

Here's a test of your Taboo skills: Try going to a grocery store in Asia and having a clerk find Kraft parmesan cheese for you.  Lord knows I'm not getting fresh here, although they do have it in the big City Supers which are my favorite stores here!   I went down to Yata after making the best ratatouille (eggplant, 2 kinds of mushrooms, onion, garlic, chicken stock, tomatoes, kale n basil YUM) and all it needs is a shake of cheese.  I scour the Yata.  I know I've seen it here before, it must be hiding.  I ask a couple clerks, most of which shake their heads and grab a friend who speaks English.  Then then bring you to the refrigerator cheese section.  No, no PARMESAN, not cheese cheese, parmesan cheese.  Same same but different.

My explanation: "It's dry.  Kind of like salt, but cheese.  Shake it on your pizza.  You know.  Dry shake cheese."

Finally one clerk caught my drift only to tell me, "Sold out."

No comments:

Post a Comment