Sunday, October 16, 2011

Duck!

What a weekend!  It all started at Hong Kong University where I went to see Jim O'Neill speak about emerging market economies and their contribution to GDP for the next 10 years.  Jim is the Chairman of Asset Management for Goldman Sachs, and is also the guy who coined the term BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China).   It was really interesting to hear him speak, especially because Hong Kong is the door to China for a lot of companies.  I somehow sat in the HKUST MBA section so I started chatting with some of the guys in the class.  It's an intensive 12 months course with 90% of the 100 members are international students, and about 1/3 are women.  Hmmm got me thinking if this whole job thing doesn't work out soon, perhaps I should take my GMAT.  Just a thought.

Saturday I did yoga then Paul and I met our friend Derek for beers and rugby.  I haven't watched an American football game since the Superbowl, but I have been watching my fair share of rugby and footie!  But the real highlight of the weekend was Sunday dinner.  Paul ran into a man in the elevator a few weeks ago who was wearing a Pittsburgh shirt.  John, elevator guy, grew up in Pittsburgh and has been living in Asia for the past 4 years.  He and his wife hosted us for an amazing dinner!  It's always so nice to  compare stories abroad, and it was good for Paul to have someone to share Pittsburgh stories with.  And ohh the food.  His wife Sandy is Chinese and an excellent cook.  There was a duck, two fish, lamb, pork, beans with bacon, vermicelli with squid, cucumbers, broccoli, and wine! And they even packed us some to-go boxes so we had lunch today.  I need to refine my cooking a little further before we can invite them over here!!

Now 'tis Monday and it's back to the grind.  Tutoring, Spanish wine event, AmCham event.  I'm hoping to be home by 10 with a hand full of business cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment