Sunday, October 9, 2011

Outdoorsy Weekend

Happy Monday!  Mondays are now one of my favorite days of the week.  There aren't usually events, I don't have tutoring or any other obligations, it's just a day to catch up on emails, housework, and for now Halloween costumes.  Paul and I are pretty lame on the ideas front (please let me know if you have any) so I think I'm going to be Cat Woman and he's going, for 3 years running,  Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent (if I can't find a Batman tee).

But, woo, what a busy weekend!  Saturday I met Paul and we checked out the Wan Tai Sin temple which is really beautiful.  It's a surprise gem in our otherwise pretty industrial hood.  Then we took a bus over to Sai Kung.  I love Sai Kung.  It's so laid back and beautiful.  It feels like you're in a Northern Cali beach town just with a lot of Chinese people with dogs with shoes.  We took a nice little boat ride to Sharpe Island, where it was too cool to swim, but we sat on the shore admiring where we live.

Sunday we woke up and made eggs benedict!  We made poached eggs in Korea a few times, but a little less successively here.  I need a slotted spoon!  They weren't pretty but they tasted good with Canadian bacon, garlic spinach, and cheese.  Then we took the scenic route down to Shek O to go hiking.  I'm all about not taking the MTR.  I don't like going underground when it's so sunny and nice out, so we attempted to take the bus.  It would have been fine if we'd gotten off at the right stop, but we didn't know where that was so we took the bus to the end.  1 1/2 hours.  Then wandered trying to find the MTR.  30 minutes.  Then took a mini-bus. 30 mins.  All in all a 2 1/2 hour trip, which probably should have been just an hour.  Oops, lesson learned, took the MTR home.  Anyway, the hike was lovely!  It's the kind of hike I like.  It took us less than 2 hours, had great views and very few hills.  And there's a great Thai restaurant at the end.  Hike to spicy squid and beer?  Yes, please!

Last weekend Paul met a guy, John, in our building who is also from Pittsburgh.  They exchanged emails and John invited us over for dinner next weekend.  When Paul mentioned I would be coming, John replied, "Is that the same Miss Lauren as from the fliers."  Asa!  2 months in and I'm already a Latitude celebrity!

Now it's off to run to Mong Kok, meet a friend for a juice, look for a costume, shower, meet Paul and hit a wine and cheese event in the mid-levels.  Should be a nice little Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment