Tuesday, November 15, 2011

And I Thought Homemade Cheese Was Good

Until I made homemade Irish Cream!  This stuff is like crack!  Well, how I imagine crack to be, which is, addictive.  I was put on dessert for Thanksgiving at Brad's this Saturday and without an oven was having trouble deciding what to make.  Then I saw this recipe.  I have been craving Baileys, even in this 80 degree heat, and thought why not put this on this list of "things I love that I can now make from scratch." See unemployment's good for something.   Learned/practiced whilst unemployed list consists of the following:

ricotta, paneer, cottage cheese
chapati/tortillas
broth

I still want to try my hand at homemade pizza dough/naan.  Perhaps tomorrow...

For the Irish Cream I used Maria's recipe but didn't include eggs because I don't have a blender and I didn't think it would mix well together.  Recipe as follows:

Tupperwear of heavenly deliciousness
1 1/2 cups Whiskey
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 little box of whipping cream
big spoonful of chocolate hazelnut spread
spoonful of instant coffee
vanilla extract
coconut etract
couldn't find almond extract

Just give it a little mix and you'll have your head in the bowl all night.  It's really super sweet (would be good on ice cream!) so to serve I usually cut it with some milk and perhaps a bit more whiskey.  But if you're drinking it as a dessert I would just toss it on some ice and dive in.

Paul and I are also making rosemary garlic mashed potatoes, and my all time favorite go to app, figs with goats cheese, almonds and honey.  Yummmm.  I can't wait to see the spread on Saturday.  And then do it all over again at Nina and Kenny's on Thursday!  If I can't be home, at least I can have Thanksgiving with friends...twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment