Thursday, November 3, 2011

Work N Play

This morning I attended Work N Play's monthly meeting at Cherry's (of Aeris magazine) suggestion.  Despite the fact that it was at 8:30 in Central, I am super glad I went.  This meetup group meets often to talk about what's new in social media and how to use it to grow your business/online exposure.  Today's session started with everyone giving a brief 3 word introduction of themselves.  "Hi, I'm Lauren.  Looking for work."  The main act was Casey Lau's presentation about his companies past and present, advice on using social media, and then and he strongly (STRONGLY) encouraged everyone to keep a blog.  Check!  Most people there were in marketing or PR, but there were a few entrepreneurs and even wine guys.  Love wine guys!  I passed out my card, got some, and have already sent out emails.  Man these tech savvy people are quick at getting back to you!  I'm used to waiting a day or sometimes weeks for a response, not minutes.  Lessons I learned:

1.  I still don't know what it is I want to do so I'm going to do it all.  Keep blogging.  Keep applying for Finance jobs.  Keep networking.  Keep writing. Keep wine tasting.  Keep harassing wine guys.  Keep on keepin on.

2. Social media is key.  I'm back on Twitter, I need to spend more time on linkedin, and there are a shit ton other sites I haven't even heard of that I need to get on.  I also promise I will try to make my blog the most interesting it can be.  I just borrowed a camera from Foodie for this week, so I'll get you some pictures.

Crabstick roll that was much enjoyed for breakfast this am
Oh you're interested in what I came home to last night after dinner with Kameron, who is super sweet by the way.  Sushi!  Paul got off work at 4:30 because the teachers had to stay late on Halloween for a party, so he came home and rolled me some crab rolls.  How sweet is that?  Any of your boyfriends ever make you sushi??  Didn't think so.

I met Kameron in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) and she showed me this really cute back street (off Cameron St) with all of these tiny mom and pop restaurants.  We went to a homemade noodle place where I didn't get noodles, hmm, and it made me eager to come back, sooo, Paul and I are going to head back tonight and check out some restaurants.  I think I may do an article for Foodie about the small little alley; Street Views for those of you who looked at Foodie.

Now it's off to profile some streets for Foodie, attend a mid-afternoon cocktail launch party.  I lost the confirmation email and now I can't figure out what the event is!  I guess I'll find out when I get there.  Tough times.  

No comments:

Post a Comment