Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Networking Fail

At this point I've been to a lot of networking events.  I mean like at least 4 a week.  So I can tell a good event from a bad one, and this my friend was a bad one.  Even if we look past the fact that you had to pay $130, only got one drink, and there was a surprising lack of food,  there was a huge disparity between those providing jobs and those in need of jobs.  Being part of the majority group, this did not benefit me much.  "Oh you're getting your MBA"  That's nice but it's not going to get me a job.   It wasn't a TOTAL fail, I did get some business cards and meet some very nice people, I just don't think Mr. EndofFunemployment will come knocking on my door after it.

In more exciting news.  I stopped by an ethnic bakery after profiling Kowloon City yesterday and got "Malay Cake."  YUM!!  Sugary, but not too sweet.  I promised Paul I'd save him half of this new treasure, but the cake won out.  I should have taken a picture, but it didn't make it past lunch.  Next time P.  He came home with a nice surprise from work for me though.  He brought these Chinese desserts.  I'm trying to find the name, but so far no success.   It's rice, sugar, bowl cake topped with red beans.  So Asian, and I would have totally hated these 2 years ago, but totally dig the gummy sweet texture now!  Anyone know the name?

After watching Forks Over Knives Paul and I are trying to be more vegetarian.  This is no problem for me as the only meat I eat is picking at whatever I'm preparing him for lunch (yum rosemary chicken salad today!), or prosciutto or foi gras at networking events.  This, however, is quite the challenge for Paul because he can eat all day, not get full, and not gain a pound.  Taking meat out just means he'll have to eat an extra pound of pasta.  No, but really we're going to try to eat more eggplant, legumes, beans and whole grains (anyone know if you can get quinoa here?), and hopefully this will ensure we'll live forever.   That's what I took from the movie.  No meat, no animal products (I will never be able to give up milk,  not even the crappy stuff here), equals life forever.  FOREVER.  Sounds good to me because that's how long it's taking me to find a job!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment