Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Le Souk- Soho

After my meeting with Alicia last night, I met Paul and we hit up Le Souk.  My official Foodie Club review will be in the December issue, but here's a preview.  It was AMAZING.  This place was really phenomenal, and I'm not just saying that because it was free.  We started with a Spanish rioja, lovely, and the Egyptian mezze platter.  The platter had Moroccan cigars (phyllo with goat's cheese), babaganoush, hummus, falafel, eggplant/tomato spread, feta, olives, greens, Kafta (beef patties), and came with pitas.  All of it was superb.  Then for mains I got the sea bass tagine and Paul got the CousCous A Le Souk.  You guys know me and I'm not a huge meat person, but if I had to come back I would definitely get Paul's meat dish!  It was the star of the night. Although I must say the sea bass was lovely too.  Paul's plate had a mound of couscous with raisins in which you spoon a bowl of vegetable soup on top.  It was good, but the best part again was the meat.  There was no joke a whole lamb on his plate.  Ok maybe not a whole lamb, but it was a huge rack. I wish I had photos.  The lamb just fell off the bone and the two sausages had just the right amount of cardamom, and both were smothered in this delicious Moroccan sauce.  Needless to say, even after the big app, we licked our plates clean.  The owner, who was super enthusiastic and fun, told Paul he should share with me.  Ha he's clearly never met me as I don't so much ask, as just take a bite of everything.  Or two.  But, yeah everything was wonderful and Moroccan food is soooo up my alley.  Hummus?  Yes, please.  He also said they usually have Moroccan wine which is really good, but they had just sold out, so we'll have to go back to try that...and another rack of lamb.  Based on the amount of people who were there when we left, they should have no problem.  For you Hong Kongers, they also own Sahara and Antipasto.  I must go ASAP.

Post dinner and Paul and I made our way down the street to Maison Wines where we were invited to sample some Italian wines with the owners of the Cavalierino vineyard.  We tried 7 wines and two types of grappa, all of which were organic and quite delicious.  Much better than the usual French nonsense served everywhere here.  The Poggiano di Montepulciano, a cab sav, was definitely my favorite, but really all of them were really fruity and tasty.   They also had some of their home grown sausage and procsuitto to taste, but I was much too full for that.  They have this huge estate in Tuscany where they have 300 pigs, grapes, and olive trees for which they make olive oil.  We were invited to come stay at their vineyard/bed and breakfast in any time and I think one of these days we may just take them up on it.

And if this wasn't enough excitement for one night, we left the tasting and met Angie (my sub in Korea who now works for RBS) for a drink at Cicada.  I haven't seen her since one of my first weeks here so it was nice to catch up and reconnect.  We found out that we have a friend in common, Mirg.  The small little expat world we live in....

Today is busy busy busy.  Run, coffee with Aeris at 2, pick up camera from Foodie, tutoring x2, dinner in TST.  How does anyone find time for a job?

No comments:

Post a Comment