Sunday, November 6, 2011

Welcome to the 21st Century

Here it is, 3 years after the iPhone first came to market, and I am getting one!  Actually two.  Paul and I just ordered the new iPhone 4s and they come in Friday!!!

Yata grilled meat selection.  See the duck tongues on the left?
Sunday and we're on the go again.  Paul and I head up to Shatin in the New Territories to watch Catherine's rowing race.  We had never been there before and figured it was as good excuse as any to check out a new area.  Maybe it's just me, but New Territories remind me an awful lot of Korea.  Tons of apartment buildings all looking the exact same all in a row.  Meh.  We saw some of the rowers heading up to the start line, but decided we didn't want to sit around and wait for the race to begin, so we explored.  We found a Yata and had an amazing avocado salmon crepe and grilled salmon stuffed squid.  Why doesn't our Yata have a grill and crepe place??  Post snack and we head back to SPK (San Po Kong) for some pre-dinner relaxing.

I told sassyhk.com that I would write a review of Ruamjai for their blog as I'm trying to build up my writing portfolio.   Paul and I went once when we first moved here, loved it, and so invited our new friends to come taste so more of their Thai delicacies.  And try we did!

Don't you love when you make drunken plans on a Saturday and they actually happen!!?  Nina, Kenny, and Andrew arrived right at 6:30 for the Thai feast.  P and I had made reservations earlier and the waitress told us we could bring out own wine with no corkage fee.  Got to love that.  In the month or so since P and I had first visited Ruamjai, we seem to have forgotten it's, shall we say, unfortunate interior.  There's no ambiance.  This place is all about the food.  We gather around our folding table and order a plethora of dishes; baby Chinese cabbage cooked in garlic, flat noodles with chicken (pad thai), pumpkin seafood curry, a whole edible goldfish,  and chicken and pork satay.  Everything was just as yummy as we remembered!  I took a poll around the table and it seemed the pumpkin curry was the star.  I need to add this to my dinner repertoire.  Pumpkin + coconut milk + seafood = HEAVEN.  I could seriously eat this every day. Seriously.  Every. Day.

We finished dinner and still had 3 bottles of wine (5 people. 5 bottles of wine. you know how we do) left so everyone came back to the Latitude to imbibe on the 6th floor patio.  It's so nice to have an outdoor space to have people over.  It's usually Paul and I traveling to see people, so it's nice to be able to finish your wine and head up to the 19th floor when it's all over.  No hour long bus ride here! Twas a wonderful Sunday evening, and Nina, Kenny and Andrew said it was worth it to come ALL the way over to the dark side for the best, most authentic Thai in HK.


Chicken Pad Thai
Pumpkin Seafood Curry 
Edible Goldfish Stuffed with Lemongrass

Sunday Funday crew; Paul, me,  Andrew, Kenny, Nina




No comments:

Post a Comment