Monday, November 7, 2011

Inspired

After the delicious pumpkin filled with seafood last night, I was motivated to try my hand at a pumpkin sweet potato curry soup.  On the streets here in the fall there are these carts that sell roasted chestnuts,  quail eggs, and gigantic roasted sweet potatoes!  Picked one of those bad boys up and I was good to go.  One of my first grocery trips in HK and I found canned pumpkin.  I haven't seen this stuff since the US so I immediately snagged a can for no other reason than the fact that I could.  It's been sitting in the pantry ever since, and seeing as I don't have an oven I was a l little confounded as to what to do with it...until pumpkin seafood bowl!

Last night's dinner turned out delish!

Success!
Saute garlic and onion
Add chicken stock
Add can pumpkin
Add sweet potato
Add Indian curry (from India!)
Garnish with parsley
Finishy!

Of course nothing in my kitchen is ever that easy so of couse I ran into one snag when my stupid can opener broke 1/4 of the way through opening the pumpkin.  I already had the onion and garlic on the stove as well as a pot of rice for Paul's lunch the next day.  So what do I do?  I went ape shit on that can!  I pull and pushed and levered, and finally I made an opening big enough to get some pump mush out!  Victory was mine!!


For Paul, the carnivore, I tried my hand at fried chicken.  I don't cook meat often, and when I do, I certainly don't fry it, but I had chicken breast, eggs, and panko bread crumbs and to my delight it actually came out pretty damn well for a first attempt!  And so as not to be wasteful, used the leftover egg wash and made a mini omelet.  Post dinner and we started watching Forks Over Knives.  Have you seen it?  Perhaps no meat for a while....
Pumpkin Curry Soup with Fried Chicken Fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment