Thursday, November 17, 2011

ART

One of the models showcasing Tina's jewelry
Well if this isn't an art-centric couple of weeks, I don't know what is.  I suppose coming from Korea where art is as ubiquitous as cheese, it still surprises me that there's an outlet for it here.  And it's awesome.  Last night my friend Cherry invited Paul and I to attend Tina Barrat's show.  Turns out this show was actually a farewell and I almost felt like we were crashing a party (since we don't know Tina and a lot of her friends were there tears in eye).  Ohh and let me tell you why Tina is leaving the jewelry business.  A) she doesn't like the business side of it.  Ok fair enough.  B) to follow her philipantric (not a word, but I like it) desires.  Get this.  Tina and her friend are starting a dog blood bank.  Tragedy struck the Barrat household last year and one of her beloved dogs was stricken with illness.  In an effort to save this poor pup, she found out there is no blood bank for dogs here!  Preposterous you say!?  Who knew blood banks for dogs existed anywhere!?  Certainly not me....perhaps we could cure cancer.  Save the children.  Feed the hungry.  No, no, there are too many dogs at risk.  Here's a solution; SOUP.  Wow was that was cold.  

It was a lovely show though.  Her jewelry was showcased on several models and on mannequins, there was a brief piano concert dedicated to the host, and of course plenty o' wine.  Although the jewelry wasn't really to my taste, it was really interesting to come and see the different types of people it attracted.  Although, mostly it was wealthy 40+ year old women.

Tonight we're heading over to the American Chamber of Commerce for "Six Visions."  It's 6 pieces of art showcased by 6 different artists.  Since it's at AmCham I'm hoping there will be some good networking contacts as well.  Although we are going with Nina, Kenny, and Cathy, so my guess is we'll be too busy chatting about all of the upcoming Thanksgiving parties.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Paul is probably getting pretty sick of me.  As you may have noticed, I still don't have a job, but I do have this shiny new iPhone which makes communicating super accessible!  As if my incessant messages aren't enough, I decide to stop by on my runs.  Paul's school is a convenient 1.6 miles from home and just happens to be on my daily running loop.  Pop, here I am!  Paul, I promise one of these days I'll get a job and stop bothering you at yours :)  But til then, the jog continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment